When you are looking to hire a bookkeeper in San Diego, you want to make sure to hire someone who understands your needs. This is especially important if you are starting a new business. There are a few steps you should take to make certain you’ve hired the right candidate, and screening them is an excellent way to know they are a good fit.
At AB Tawil, we are confident we can connect you with a bookkeeper who can understand and adapt to your unique needs. We can be easily reached at 619-270-1286.
Do You Need a Bookkeeper?
Simply put, a San Diego bookkeeper can help you keep your records and transactions organized. When running a business, it can be challenging to keep track of everything and know what to collect.
A bookkeeper can help you document transactions, payments, receipts, financial data, and ledgers. With all the paperwork, you can find it difficult to focus on the business or put your energy into what you love doing. This is where a bookkeeper can come in handy!
Interviewing a Bookkeeper
Your business is your income, and you want to make sure you find someone you trust to manage everything that goes into it. As with any new role in your business, you can limit candidates by interviewing them and making sure their qualities are a fit for what you need. For this reason, it’s a good idea to ask the right questions.
12 Important Questions to Ask Your Potential Bookkeeper
So how do you know what to ask? To start, think of what experience you may want someone to have. Do you want someone who has worked with your specific business model or industry before? Do you want someone local with an office or someone who can work remotely? Do you want to have regularly scheduled meetings? Limit down exactly what you are looking for, then you can begin thinking of questions that align with that.
Some people have a difficult time interviewing others and may find it intimidating. To start your interview, work on some icebreakers to make you both more comfortable. From there, some questions you may want to ask include:
- What is your experience in bookkeeping?
- How do you stay organized?
- I work with ___ program. Are you familiar with it or have experience with it?
- What type of accounting systems have you worked with?
- Do you have extensive knowledge of federal, state, and local legal requirements?
- Have you had any success in growing a company’s revenue or reducing costs?
There are also questions you can ask related to their work ethic, success in other fields, projects, etc. Some people prefer a more professional and structured interview, while others enjoy casual interviews.
If you require your associates to have flexibility with their hours, such as working during holidays, weekends, or after normal business hours, asking about their availability will also be key. Other questions you could ask include:
- What do you consider to be your strongest qualities?
- Tell me about a time when you were struggling with a project and how you handled it
- What type of management style are you most comfortable with?
- Do you prefer frequent meetings on projects to discuss progress or work more independently?
- What do you think would be helpful for you to succeed in this role?
- Do you have any long-term goals you are working towards?
Call Us Today for the Best San Diego Bookkeeping Services!
If you need help with finding a reliable and suitable bookkeeper in the San Diego area, AB Tawil is here for you! Contact us today at 619-270-1286 and set up your free consultation today!